The Green Youth Movement Club is a Higher Education Commission (HEC)-launched and funded program in all universities across Pakistan with the aim of sensitising and creating awareness among youth about environmental-related issues.
The president and members of the Green Youth Movement Club, FJMU, launched its mega project based on the segregation of solid and liquid waste and clean green Pakistan.
Vice Chancellor Fatima Jinnah Medical University, Prof. Dr. Khalid Masood Gondal, inaugurated the project by cutting ribbon and planting lemon trees. He was accompanied by Dr. Riaz Anwar Khan, Advisor to Chief Minister KPK, Pro-Vice Chancellor Prof. Dr. Kamran Khalid Khawja, Principal Prof. Dr. Noreen Akmal, Chairperson Department of Medicine/ Dean Nursing/ Director QEC Prof. Bilquis Shabbir, Dean Basic Sciences Prof. Dr. Aliya Zahid, senior faculty members, and students who attended the inauguration in large numbers.
The focal person for GYM, Dr. Faiza Abrar, gave a briefing regarding the aims and objectives of the project.
The project consisted of the following three parts:
1. Three sets of colour-coded waste segregated bins were installed at various points in the hostel of FJMU. The aim was to sensitise and educate students to segregate and dispose of garbage so that it can be recycled and thus reduce its burden on the earth.
2. A poster competition was held among students to brainstorm and create awareness about solid and liquid waste management.
3. A lemon garden was planted in the hostel of FJMU. The aim was to reuse organic waste as fertilizer and provide a rich source of vitamin C to students free of cost.
Cash prizes were given to the winners of the poster competition by VC Sahib.
• 1st position secured by Ms. Sawera Ahmad and Ms. Nadia Safdar
• 2nd position secured by Ms. Aleeza Abrar and Ms. Zariab Iftikhar
• 3rd position secured by Ms. Mahnoor Durrani
In the end, the honourable guest praised the efforts of students in creating awareness about challenges pertaining to environmental-related issues. Worthy VC Sahib encouraged the students to keep up their good work to make a difference in the local community. He also applauded the potential of GYM team members and their commitment to the cause.
EVENT INFO :
- Start Date:October 24, 2023
- End Date:October 24, 2023